This week we are featuring Mr. Gordon Marks, head coach of our Power Soccer team. Here’s what he had to say to our questions:
- How long have you been coaching Power Soccer? What made you decide to start?
- Since 1997. Our son Jordan started playing Power Soccer in 1996 and after about a, year the team needed a coach.
- Have you played competitive sports? If so, which ones?
- Up to grade seven I played hockey, soccer and baseball.
- Do you have any favorite sports team(s)? Favorite athlete?
- The Vancouver Canucks. Have to admire Trevor Linden for his work on and off the ice.
- Do you have a favorite SportAbility moment?
- I think it would have to be just as we were preparing for our first game at the 2011 World Cup in Paris. I took a moment and had a look at our first National Power Soccer Team and the crowd that had come to watch. I had a quick thought about all the work and everyone that was involved to get us there. I went over and shook hands with Adam Azis (Asssistant Coach), Luigi Galvanni (Equipment Manager), and gave Margaret McLeod (Team Manager) a hug. We then went on to win our first game in Paris.
- Do you have a favorite travel moment?
- When we first started to travel with Power Soccer Teams, we were going to Mesa, Arizona to compete. On one of those adventures we decided to stay longer and take a day to drive to the Grand Canyon. Going with Jordan and me were: Owen and Ryan Barclay, and Ben and Stratton Whitaker. Three dads, three sons. The day before we left it was sunny, warm and we were relaxing around the pool. The following day we had every type of adverse weather Mother Nature could throw at you. Wind, rain, hail, sleet, and finally snow. We got about ten miles west of Flagstaff and had to turn around. It was decided we would have lunch and spend the day in Sedonna. It was raining hard when we arrived. There was red rooster tails from the boys’ wheelchairs wheels as they roared around Sedonna and through the reddy-brown runoff. We had an excellent lunch and tested a few dwarfs (local brews). Even though we did not make it to the Grand Canyon it is still one of my favourite travel moments.
- If you were trapped on a deserted island, which actor/musician would you want with you?
- In my youth it would have been Joe Cocker. Love the way he can sing the blues and rock & roll. Today, any female country and western singer.
- What do you like to do in your spare time?
- I garden, do a bit of hiking and walk the dog. I do the odd power soccer wheelchair modification when needed. Do things with the grandkids.
- If you could describe yourself in three words, what would they be and why?
- Fair, Reliable, and Good looking, all according to my wife.
- What was the last movie you saw? Was it a good one?
- Captain Phillips. It was a good movie. It is too bad that these pirate situations take place. If the pirates had opportunities and something to lose at home, this probably would have not happened.
From left to right: Jordan Marks, Stratton Whitaker, Ryan Barclay, Gordon Marks (top), Owen Barclay, and Ben Whitaker.