Participation in physical activity and sport by all British Columbians who have a physical disability
SportAbility BC is a multi-sport society that ensures and facilitates opportunities in physical activity and sport. We enable all British Columbians who have a physical disability to enhance their quality of life by being active in their community and beyond.
History and Background:
SportAbility was founded in 1976 with the original focus of supporting various Child Development Centers and Rehabilitation Centers in the Lower Mainland. Since then, we have grown immensely and now have ties throughout the major regions of BC, Canada and the world.
SportAbility is a non-profit, volunteer-driven association whose goal is to provide sporting opportunities for athletes with a wide range of physical disabilities. We support people of all ages and offer multiple sports from which to choose such as Sledge Hockey, Boccia, Power Soccer, 7 A-Side Soccer, Para Cycling and Sitting Volleyball. As a multi-sport, multi-disability association, SportAbility strives to offer its members programs at both recreational and competitive levels.
• Participant first: our programs are participant/athlete focused; we ensure a variety of opportunities at all levels. We promote the development of skills and physical literacy as well as the holistic growth of all participants – physical, social, emotional and physiological. We encourage participants to try new things and offer a range of physical activity opportunities and experiences for British Columbians with a physical disability.
• We focus on Ability over disability and foster the enjoyment of physical activity to ensure a positive experience for all individuals
• Program personnel and participants are all valued, respected, trained and supported in their role including athletes, volunteers, coaches, officials, classifiers, and staff
• We are a public and well known organization, we create the expectation that British Columbians with a disability are able to participate in sport. We work to educate the public and others in the BC sport and physical activity delivery system about the abilities of British Columbians with a physical disability. We are an educator and an advocate for sport and physical activity opportunities for persons with a physical disability.
• We value win-win partnerships with other organizations working in sport and organizations in other areas impacting persons with a disability.