Founded in 1976, SportAbility is a registered charity (1982) which provides physical activity programs for individuals with a disability across British Columbia, Canada.
History and Background
SportAbility offers programs in four sports including Sledge Hockey, Boccia, Power Soccer, and CP/Para Soccer at both recreational and competitive levels.
SportAbility is a non-profit, volunteer-driven association whose goal is to create a fun and safe social environment for athletes with a disability, who are either being introduced to an activity for the first time, or competing at an international level.
Participation in physical activity and sport by all British Columbians who have a physical disability.
SportAbility is a multi-sport society that ensures and facilitates opportunities in physical activity and sport. We enable all British Columbians who have a physical disability to enhance their quality of life by being active in their community and beyond.
- Participants: Our programs are participant and athlete focused; we ensure a variety of opportunities at all levels. We promote the development of skills and physical literacy as well as the holistic growth of all participants – physical, social, emotional and physiological. We encourage participants to try new things and offer a range of physical activity opportunities and experiences for British Columbians with a physical disability.
- Ability: We focus on ability first over disability and foster the enjoyment of physical activity to ensure a positive experience for all individuals.
- Community: Program personnel and participants are all valued, respected, trained, and supported in their roles such as athletes, volunteers, coaches, officials, classifiers, and staff.
- Organization: We are a public and well known organization – we create the expectation that British Columbians with a disability are able to participate in sport. We work to educate the public and others in the BC sport and physical activity delivery system about the abilities of British Columbians with a physical disability. We are educators and advocators for sport and physical activity opportunities for persons with a physical disability.
- Partnerships: We value win-win partnerships with other organizations working in sports, and organizations in other areas impacting persons with a disability.
- Volunteers/Staff: We value, respect, trust, and care about our volunteers and staff who are trained and conduct themselves professionally, ethically, and with integrity. Our organization is led by visionary leadership volunteers, and is operated and driven by dedicated staff.
- Ethically-Based: We provide an ethical environment that does not tolerate the use of banned substances and methods, is harassment free, and supports equity and access for all athletes, coaches, staff, and volunteers.
Ross has been a part of SportAbility for 19 years, first joining the team as a sport development coordinator and currently as the executive director. Ross has been involved in para and adapted sport as an athlete and volunteer for 30 years, has a passion for inclusive and adapted sport, and is grateful for all the opportunities he had as an athlete.
Stephanie joined the SportAbility team as a summer intern in May 2015, and has since stayed with the organization as Communications Coordinator. Her work with SportAbility allows her to combine her widespread background and interests in both sport and digital media. Stephanie holds a Bachelor’s of Kinesiology and a Master’s of Digital Media.
Sport Development Coordinator
Jade joined the SportAbility team in February 2017 as the Sport Development Coordinator. She graduated from Castleton University in 2013 with a B.A. in Health Psychology and a minor in Fitness and Sport Science. While attending Castleton, Jade was a member of the Women’s Varsity Hockey Team. Jade holds a Master’s degree in Kinesiology from the University of British Columbia, where her thesis focused on hockey official penalty decision making.
Board of Directors
Judi Cameron – President
Frannie Cruise – Vice President
Jane Blaine – Treasurer
Terrie Moore – Secretary
Rochelle Chou – Director
Carol Martin – Director
get in touch
Thank you for your interest. Feel free to call us or use the form below to reach us by email.
We look forward to speaking with you.